About me

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kidney stones, drugs and a beautiful self-portrait....

I am still a bit high on oxycodone as I write this...sorry....I feel like total crap.

So here's the story as best I can remember it....

Friday night. come down with bladder infection.
saturday 1pm. start antibiotics.
sunday. feel fine.
Sunday going into monday morning at 12:30am I wake up in all kinds of weird discomfort.
after 2hrs of it getting worse, I decide I have a kidney infection and steve tells me to drive myself to emergency.
we have no medical insurance so I start crying b/c i'm in pain and know I need to go, but we don't have money for the size of bill I'm going to get.

I drive myself to the hospital, all the way, PRAYING there isn't a long wait. When I arrive, there is not ONE person in emergency!! how often does THAT happen? never. Thank you God for hearing my prayers.
they got me in quick, which was good b/c I went from bad to worse in about 45min. By the time they had me pee in a cup, and put an IV in my arm, I was doubled over crying in pain and BEGGING for pain medication. I can honestly say this felt worse than birthing my 10lb daughter sans drugs.
she gave me some morphine and within about 5min it kicked in. SO thankful for modern day medicine.

They explained that there was A LOT of blood in my urine and the way I was describing the pain, they think I have kidney stones and need to send me for a CT Scan (all I can think is more $$$$$).

Of course, being high on morphine, I tell the guy, I write a blog and need a photo of the machine. he tells me this was a first:)



After the CT scan, I asked for more morphine b/c the pain was already coming back....she gave me more and I was litterally OUT. OF. IT for 12hrs after that. YIKES.

At one point, I remember trying to text steve and typing the same word over and over again b/c I couldn't get it right, til I passed my phone to the nurse and I heard her burst out laughing...I think she was standing their watching me TRY to text.
It's a good thing I don't do drugs, or drink or anything of that source. I don't remember what I was saying but there were 2 nurses and they were laughing at me a lot......

It must have been around the same time I had the great idea to take a self-portrait to see what I look like on morphine....incase you were wondering also...I'll share:


Purdy, huh? love my Medusa hair and my handful bra:)

They sent me home with some oxycodone and a strainer. Yes, I get to strain all my pee's. They want to test it to find out what caused it. they said I have lots of them in my kidneys:(:(

Well, it's been 24hrs and no stone, so I'm wondering if my body broke it down? I have no idea.
do I risk going off pain meds and then it decides to come out? or do I just assume it past. They told me it was 3mm in size and would hurt when it came out...not sure what happened to it.

I just want to get down from this high so I can run again. I am ticked I missed my 15miler yesterday and am missing more miles today.
I am totally jinxed when I decide to train for marathons......what is up with that?


so...that's my story.....told while I'm high:)

20 comments:

  1. just talked to you on the phone. Gosh, girl. So glad you are recovering now. So sorry this happened. Hope it is better by tonight. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and you still look lovely even all messed up. ha ha. love that nude handful bra. I wear it every single day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wishing you happy thoughts and a speedy recovery chica. I love the CT scan photo- that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! I tried to run tonight b/c the urologist said the bouncing around might help but I made it one mile and about died.... lol

      Delete
  4. Poor girl, I hear they are horrible. My mom is prone to them. She passed one about the size of yours when I was young. She still gets smaller ones from time to time. Is the pain still bad? I know you were saying it hasn't passed yet. The more fluids the better and faster it will pass... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am drinking water like it's going out of style! still hasn't passed but pain is gone...so they said that means it' made its way to my bladder. Urologist said it could take a week to pass from there out of the body....blah!

      Delete
    2. At least it's moving that's good news! Fingers crossed it makes it's way out soon!

      Delete
  5. So happy you did not need surgery! Feel better! Plenty of time to train:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM..he did say I MIGHT still need it if it doesn't come out on it's own.....:(:( fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Get better, Nicole. So so sorry you have to go through this. I understand the medical bill concerns- completely. Just glad you are going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina! the nurse said as long as you're paying $1 a month they won't send me to collections lol...that's nice to know!

      Delete
  7. You poor wee thing, hope you get better soon. i can just imagine you wanting to take a photo of the machine and the technician thinking 'THAT'S what you're worried about?" Best wishes for your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah..I was so high on morphine lol...he just said "Okaaaay.....that's a first"
      ha ha....

      Delete
  8. Bless Your Heart- I was eager for you to post- true dedication to your blogger and friends to get pics - lol- silly woman! ha!
    There are several types of stones- so many things can cause them depending on the stone- I had one experience in training- triggered I think from dehydration- my husbsand suffers with severe bouts of stones and has had them that size too and has never passed them- they must dissolve and break apart on their own if that's the case. If they were big and blocking they could go in and perform a procedure where it 'waves' them apart into pcs - Do lots of research on it and try to maybe fiquire out why this might of happened to you- Take Care and Rest easy-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. connie...I was told it can be caused by too much calcium OR too much protein. I am wondering since I consume so much more protein in training if that's what caused it?

      Delete
  9. Oh what a bummer! I hope you pass that baby soon! That self portrait is priceless. Hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. To hear a woman describe them as being worse than childbirth....that pain is unimaginable.

    I had kidney stones a couple years ago, but luckily I never had any pain. I was getting bloody urine after runs (really freaky to see), which is what brought me to the doctor. The bleeding was caused by the stones bouncing in my kidneys. They ended up attributing the stones to severe dehydration. This all started after my first summer living and running in Georgia, and I know I was really bad about drinking enough water. Ended up having lithotripsy to remove them.

    I hope it's something as simple as that for you, and you don't have to make any big dietary changes or worry about a re-occurence. Praying for you!. You are a brave woman, especially for sharing those pictures with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl!! What in the world?!!! So sorry you went through that ordeal. Glad you are going to be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a kidney stone, I can only imagine what that could have been like.....I hope you feel better asap! That's so tough having to miss runs. But you'll be back to good in no time!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!