About me

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Boston or Eugene???? need to decide SOON-help!

So....with Boston Registration only a week or two away....I find myself thinking and reflecting on what I should do.
On my first marathon in May I qualified for Boston with a 3:35:43 (not the time I was going for at all, but it was Hot and I got a stress fracture so in hindsight I'm actually happy with it:)....none the less,I did qualify and now I need to decide if I am going to try to register or not?

Options for running my 2nd marathon:
Go to Boston or stay local and Run Eugene

Thoughts


Boston:


Everyone tells me "if you CAN run Boston, Run Boston!".....so this is always going through my head,
BUT I have to weigh the pro's and con's.

*and first off, yes I understand I MAY NOT even get in....but the people at Boston told me they think it won't fill up til about 2min before the qualifying time. 

1. If we go to Boston, it is going to be expensive!, and I have to find someone to watch my 2 girls for 4 or 5 days. we have no family here and my best friend is moving away in December, so that is challenge #1.

2. I feel like right now I want a FAST marathon time more than I just want the "experience" that Boston offers which makes it a tough choice. Could I enjoy running Boston the way I want to, knowing I won't get my fastest capable time?

I am torn b/c I don't WANT to give up the chance to run Boston-I think there is a novelty about qualifying on your first marathon and being able to go run it as your 2nd!......BUT I know I will qualify again, and I think that maybe it is smart to WAIT for another year when I am willing to run a marathon for FUN and just enjoy the experience.

Right now I think my priorities are about getting in prime shape and banging out some serious PR's for the next few years.

HOWEVER, some of the beautiful wonderful women in my life WILL BE running Boston and I also know how great it would be to share that experience with them:/ sigh....
I also think that if I did Boston a few years from now, we would be able to afford to make it a much better vacation by then....I'm just not sure what to do.

3. IF I run EUGENE It IS a fast course.....it won't cost me money for travel or babysitting, and I will have a much better chance of getting that fast marathon time I'm after.....but that is about the only Pro I can find with it.

It seems to me like Eugene is financially the better choice and time-wise if I decide that that is the  more important to me this spring then it also makes it the better choice......but I know myself and I know NOT trying to get into Boston will drive me crazy.


What would you do??? any thoughts or advice? would I be stupid to give up this chance to run Boston?

6 comments:

  1. Umm it seems like you have a tough decision. I just think it's every runner's dream to run Boston, so I would go with that. Considering I may never even get there, it hurts to think that a runner like you would turn down the opportunity! I think either one you decide will be great though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go with Boston. It's something you have to expereince at least once .

    You will certainly run faster marathons in the future, and I understand you desire to improve your time. But you never know. You've got the qualifying time now, so I'd use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eugene IS a fast course. Not sure if I can compare it with Boston, just because I ran them differently and trained very differently for both.
    I think you'll have the opportunity to run Boston over and over and over again....
    That said, let me complicate things.
    I would go to Boston if I could this year to run with some "special people". Finances and promises make it a no-go.
    If you wanted to race Eugene or Newport, I promise I'll be at one of them :) haven't decided which one though. Maybe both. Tough decisions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tough decision. I know personally if I ever ran a marathon and qualified for Boston I would want to go if I could afford it. I say go for it, if you think you can pull it off. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is short, and you never know what it will throw your way. If I had the qualifying time for Boston, I would go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I struggled with this decision a few months ago too.

    You have a lot of the pros and cons that I was having too. I REALLY want to go again, but we are saving for a house and spending $5,000 on a trip to run a marathon isn't realistic right now. When I do hit that course again I also want it to be the trip of a lifetime, I don't want to have to cut financial corners like I did last time to put a damper on the experience. I also want a fast qualifying time to be in the first wave, and while this course is a "net downhill" course...it doesn't feel that way!

    We came to the conclusion that there will be other years and other races, and it doesn't have to be NOW that I hit the course. Honestly I think that for me the reason I am not going to be there is because my heart isn't yet ready for it and God wants me to be a bit more prepared. I guess in my case it also doesn't help that my current qualifying time is 3:38 which most likely won't get me in anyhow.

    Either way know that there are many many more years for you to get this experience in. Human nature tells us that we need to do something now or else there will never be another opportunity, but I don't think that is the case with running. I think that if you go then it will be an awesome experience, but if you don't then you will have more time to prepare and cruise through the course.

    Okay didn't really give you any help here...whatever decision you make will be what is right for you at this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!