About me

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Training, training, training....

I managed to squeeze in 60 miles last week with going between here and canada. Steve's moms funeral was on monday and it was beautiful. I didn't get a chance to run b/c we spent the whole day travelling after that, so my week is Tuesday to Sunday this week. That means I won't get a break for 13-14 days. I normally only run 6 days a week so this will be interesting to see how tired I get.

Each week for January John has ben doing 3 workouts....well the long run idn't really  a workout b/c it is easy pace...but the distance part still takes a toll on the body.

So each week I do a long run, a hill workout and a fartlek workout.

today was 18 miles!!!! do you know it's been 9 LONG months since i've run this distance??

John likes my easy pace to be about 8:15-8:30 and has told me not to let any mile go below 8.:00. just to keep it easy on my body.


My 18 was good. We got 4 inches of snow last night but by 10:30am it was warmer and dryer, few!! I headed down to the watefront to run alone...but it actually woked out good b/c I could run my own pace and not worry about anyone else:)

The first 2 miles, my legs felt tired so I was worried I might not make it but after i warmed up, they were fine!
Here are my splits:
mile 1: 8:32
mile 2: 8:26
Mile 3: 8:31
Mile 4: 8:56 (running into a headwind)
Mile 5: 8:54 (headwind-did NOT like this one bit!)
Mile 6: 8:04
Mile 7: 8:01
Mile 8: 8:03
Mile 9: 8:12
Mile 10: 7:52
Mile 11: 8:14
Mile 12; 7:59
Mile 13: 8:10
Mile 14: 8:21
Mile 15: 7:59
Mile 16: 7:58
Mile 17: 7:53
Mile 18: 7:51

I felt good the WHOLE time. I never let my legs get to the point of feeling tired or like they were working ...meaning pushing the pace even a little. I kept TRYING to slow down so I wouldn't have sub 8min miles, but honestly, my body just works this way sometimes. I am a progressive runner. My body just runs better and faster over time. so I felt good about this run...
THEN, after the run, I remembered Johns words of wisdom about ICE being the secret to a good recovery and staying injury free.....so I DID IT! I headed to safeway to get a bag of ice for my FIRST ICE BATH.
It was hellish..not gonna lie..but my legs feel GREAT so It was worth it!

I wrapped a warm blanket out of the dryer and then went on email/FB on my phone to try to distract myself and it worked! I stayed in a full 15min and then didnt' let myself warm up in the shower after..just got dressed and headed out:)

So...for TRAINING...I am feeling good!
I should hit 65-70 miles this week and i'm surprised at how well my body is handling this higher mileage. last year when I trained for windermere, I stayed around 45-55 miles most weeks. My workouts were SO hard I couldnt' do any more than that. This year it's quite diff. I am enjoying long EASY runs instead of progressive or marathon pace and so far the workouts are good.
I really like having a totally different approach from what I did last year and hope it all pays off at Boston!

I have been doubting myself lately and if I can really get a good time at Boston, since so many people say it is a really challenging course, but I am just gonna do my best and if i don't get the time  Iwant..I will find a flatter course for fall:):)

This friday calls for fartlek of 15x 1min on/off of about 6:20-6:30 pace. and then sunday hills:) 7 x 2 min this week. I'm dreading this workout.

Does anyone hate hills as much as ME??? I know they are a necessary evil but I dread them EVERY time.

13 comments:

  1. First..so sorry to hear about Steve's mom, I read the earlier post and she sounds like an amazing woman.

    Second.. I hate to admit it but I kind of like hills.. especially once I get done :)

    Great job on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no chance to run hills living in New Orleans, and they burn me every time :-/
    I ran a course that is supposed to be similar to Boston last fall. I won't lie, my quads were killing me during that race! The only way I get hills in is running up the side of the levee. But that gets dull on repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how you wear you socks for your ice bath! that is too funny! i actually don't take these because i do not feel like they help me.

    but i do think that having this different approach to your training is going to benefit you for boston. easy miles are so important, and maybe you had a tricky time last cycle because there were too many hard miles. they say boston is a "net downhill course" but its still a challenge. don't doubt yourself my dear, you've still got about 3 months! thats a world of time to make progress, and you are going to cruise through that course like nobodys business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only hills we have in Florida are bridges. I have a love/hate relationship with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you using a plan similar to the Run Less, Run Faster program? I swear by it! I also despise hills, but try to get in a good hill workout once every 2 weeks. I have never made an ice bath after a hard workout- I might have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh. Hills. I am about to start adding them into my training much more as I get ready for my next marathon which is only 6 weeks away... It's supposed to be a hilly hard course. Pretty much the opposite of Houston! :-(

    As far as pace- I think I have a similar style to yours. I am much more progressive naturally. It just happens that way. I have to race this way too or bad things happen! Great job on sticking with it for 18 hard miles!

    Sounds crazy but ice baths can actually become a little addicting- in a good way! I try to keep a few big bags in our freezer in the garage and I pick one or two up whenever I'm at walmart. During the thick of my training I usually take one 2-3 times a week for my toughest workouts. The first minute is the worst but once your legs go numb it's ok. Just tell yourself it will all pay off at your big race. (In college I was much worse. My friends and I took them after almost every practice. There is something psychological about it but I'm sure we went overboard!) While I was training for Boston last spring before my injury I would read "26 Miles to Boston" every time I sat in the ice bath. It helped a little! Anyway, great job on getting in all your miles with all you've had going one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I am a friend of Katie and John's and also of Katie H. (we are in the same ward) I am by no means a runner, but when I was training for my marathon I would drink hot chocolate while sitting in my ice bath. It helped keep me a little warmer and it distracted me. So maybe give that a try. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Generally I don't learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.

    my webpage: vertical leap exercises

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the amazing work.

    my web site: phoenix Online Program

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somebody necessarily help to make severely posts I would state.
    This is the first time I frequented your website page and to this point?
    I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put up incredible.
    Wonderful task!

    My web page ... workouts to increase vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's definately a great deal to know about this subject. I like all of the points you've made.


    Here is my webpage: breakfast las vegas Strip

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this info.


    Look at my web-site: exercises to improve vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to be recommended this web site by way of my cousin.
    I am now not sure whether this put up is written by means of him as no
    one else recognise such precise about my trouble. You're incredible! Thanks!

    Here is my web-site - Yournetscape.Com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!